Monday, August 07, 2006

Back in the saddle

After a several month hiatus I'm again homebrewing. I've been too busy these last few months to block out the half-day usually required to brew a batch of beer, but now that my assistant at work is back following a three-month leave things are settling down. So, largely due to the weather I decided to brew a hefeweizen. It's been in the fermenter for a week now, so in another couple of days I'll do a gravity test. If another test on Saturday shows no change I'll go ahead and bottle it. A couple of weeks of conditioning and I should have a nice batch of hefe ready for the Labor Day weekend.

I've spent the last few days browsing brewing equipment web sites and making a wish list. The first item I'll buy is a propane gas burner, which will not only let me move the boiling outside but free me from the vagaries and nuances of an electric stove. Next, a home kegging system to eliminate scrubbing and disinfecting all the $*~*&G! bottles. While I'm at it I might as well adapt the old fridge in the garage by installing a tap through the door. This way I won't even have to open the fridge when I want a beer. Finally, I want a conical fermentation tank like the big brewers use. No more transferring to secondary fermenters, siphoning, or mess when obtaining samples for gravity testing.

Anyway, that's the beginning of my list. And Christmas and my birthday will both be here before we know it.

Hi, Sweetie.......... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment