Sunday, August 12, 2007

Beer(s) of the Moment

I can't promise a regularly scheduled beer review column, so I have aptly titled this post as 'Beer of the Moment'. I am hoping to occasionally post on beers available in the area that are worth taking a look at. So without further ado, on to the beers.

Sierra Nevada is celebrating their 27th Anniversary this year. It is amazing to think about how long they have been going at it, and their Pale Ale is partially responsible for the craft beer revolution we are experiencing today. Its nice to know that if I step foot into any town in America, it is likely that I can find a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale amongst the Bud, Miller, and Coors offerings that are so ubiquitous in grocery stores and gas stations everywhere. To celebrate their anniversary, they have released their Anniversary Ale, a highly hopped IPA that showcases the Cascade hop that Sierra Nevada has utilized for years. This is not an over the top IPA, but it shines with the fresh taste of the citrusy Cascade hops that has defined the West Coast style of beers for the past decade or so. At just under 6 percent alcohol, it is sessionable and tasty as well. I was able to pick up a 6 pack at Earthfare, but I imagine it could be found at most of the good beer stores in town over the next several weeks.

My second featured beer is Ommegedon, brewed by Ommegang, perhaps the best American example of Belgian style ales. This is a Belgian Pale Ale, not unlike a Duvel, but with a twist. It was bottled with a dose of Brettanomyces giving it an ever so slightly sour and funky finish that complements the subtle spices and candied sugar. The Brett is in the background now, but with a month or two of aging it should give this beer a more earthy finish. This is a limited release, so get it while you can. I bought mine at Bruisin' Ales.

I have added a calendar to the right side of the blog, and I hope to keep it updated with beer related events in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment