Wednesday, December 05, 2007

He's Alive!

Yes, I am still here. Sorry for the lack of posts lately. Between traveling for the holidays, and my normal life schedule I haven't gotten around to posting. Bad blogger. I even missed out on the bottled Highland Cold Mountain, which came and went in a flash. I've had several pints of it at Barleys however, so all is not lost. Now, on to some local beer happenings.

I've been anxiously awaiting the release of this year's Pisgah Baptista, and it is finally here. Bruisin' Ales got some in today, and I hurriedly rushed out to get it after work. This beer sold out quickly last year, and I expect it to do the same again. They did brew more this time around, about 100 cases or so, and I suspect that it will only be available for a couple of weeks. I am sipping on this year's batch as I type this, and it is as fantastic as I remember it. This is one of the better American brewed belgian style ales in the country. Yes, I said the entire country. Be sure to pick some up, and you can have a chance to taste some at Bruisin' Ales on the 13th for their beer tasting.

Speaking of Bruisin' Ale's beer tastings, be sure to check out the vertical tasting of the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout and Monster Barleywine tomorrow night. It is indeed a rare treat to be able to taste side by side different vintages of beers, and to see how the aging process effects the taste. This tasting costs five dollars and the proceeds will go to Friends of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Another local brewery that has been delivering some extra special goodies has been French Broad Brewing Company. Hot on the heels of the Wee-Heavyest, they are hoping to have another as yet unnamed special bottled release by Christmas. I hope they can keep this up, although I know that they are spending a lot of time hand bottling these beers. Show your support by picking some up on the next release. French Broad has also resurrected their Flander's Abbey Ale, which is available at the tasting room and soon in other locations in Asheville. It is nice to have a sessionable belgian style ale to drink while out on the town.

Hops and Vines, West Asheville's newest beer store has a website now. They have beer tastings on Friday evenings from 3-6, and they are holding a homebrewing 101 class on Sunday, December 30th. This is an excellent opportunity to see what goes into making beer, and the best part is you get to take home some of the finished product.

And speaking of West Asheville, Tolliver's Crossing is finally open. I've been peeking in the window for the last couple of months, and when I drove by tonight I saw it packed with people. If my dog wasn't in the car with me, I would have hopped in for a pint. A full report will be issued as soon as I get a chance to drop in. In other bar news, I have heard nothing about the Thirsty Monk downtown. They were supposed to be open in October, but I understand that these things take time. Hopefully things are still on track there and they will be opening soon.

That's all for now folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment